Monday 20 April 2009

Port out, Starboard home

I've just gotten back from Cork.

To complete the story of my stay in this highly un-foreign of countries I must start by talking about the Bed and Breakfast we stayed in, called Garnish House. The breakfast part was certainly the most notable. There was a simply inexhaustible supply of delicious food every morning, and all three days I ate there for breakfast we found ourselves skipping lunch.

Here's a picture of the delicious Salmon omelette I had for breakfast on Sunday.


Sunday was certainly a lot more enjoyable that Sunday because we got out of Cork itself and went to Blarney Castle, which is a few miles away. Quite a beautiful spot.


The top of the castle is also home to the famous Blarney Stone; so famous that nobody I've ever met has heard of it. Apparently it grants the gift of eloquence to anyone who kisses it. As the majority of people kissing it were American, and as getting intimate with the masonry didn't appear to change their nationality, I decided not to suffer that particular indignity.

Besides, I'm more interested in the Holy Stone of Clonrichert.

The grounds of the castle also contained a beautiful garden in which we got incredibly close to a Robin and a particularly cute wild mouse. Rosie also braved a ride on this swinging tire thingy.


After an able around the gardens we went on a really pleasant walk through the woods. Of course, as it was more than 5 minutes walk from the car park, we had the place to ourselves. It was very nice.


Pausing only to scoff several scoops of very nice ice cream at the gift shop, we headed back to Cork for dinner.


Monday's breakfast is definitely worth a mention, as it too was a work of art. Apple and cinnamon flavoured pancakes!


Sadly that was all I had time for it. With a heavy heart and extremely light wallet I said my goodbyes to Rosie and went to board my Aer Lingus flight back to Heathrow.


At least for this flight the weather wasn't quite so overcast, so I got a good view through the window.


Oh well, back to work tomorrow!

No comments: