Saturday 11 April 2009

52 miles. Ouch!

Well, today I took advantage of the reasonably nice weather to go out and explore some more of Oxfordshire on my road bike.


I've had a 52 mile route planned for a while now, so I took this opportunity to go out and give it a try. Likewise I've also recently invested in a new pair of sunglasses, which also needed a first outing.

52 miles turned out to be quite a manageable distance. I headed off at about 2:30pm and the ride took me about four hours in total. My average speed was 14mph, top speed 30mph. The countryside around here is beautiful, and unlike around Nottingham it is very easy to get away from the busy roads and built up areas. The route was basically a bit anti-clockwise circle around Didcot and the ridgeway, Taking in Appleford, Grove, Wantage, West & East Ilsley, Compton, Goring & Streatley, Wallingford and Cholsey. I'm quite proud of myself for choosing such a pleasant route entirely from looking at an OS map, and even more proud that I didn't get completely lost, although of course the GPS on my phone was useful on a couple of occasions to confirm I was on the right road.

What motivates me to go out and ride such distances? There are plenty of reasons. It's a wonderful way to get out and explore the countryside, covering plenty of distance but not locked away from it as one would be in a car. It's also nice to leave any concerns or worries behind and have time to think. If that's not enough, when I'm cycling on my own I like to do it with a good audiobook for company in my left ear, thanks to my phone and a headphone.

It also feels very good to get some exercise, try to keep the weight of and work on those muscles I didn't even realise I had until I took up cycling.

I think I shall be riding that route again in the future. Just not tomorrow, if my aching muscles are anything to go by!

No comments: