Monday 8 December 2008

Icy roads

This morning for me was characterised by the amount of ice there was as I stepped out of my flat on the way to work. Turning my car shaped ice cube into a car took some work with a scraper. The heater on the Corolla kicks in about 2/3 of the way to work, as opposed to the old Micra that managed it at 5/6 of the way to work, so it was a bit chilly too!

Most startling, however, was the complete lack of gritting that had taken place on the road beyond my cul-de-sac. As I rolled gracefully forward out of the junction onto said road I became aware that although I was doing with the wheel and pedals what usually makes my car go around that corner today it wasn't working.

There were two issues. First, the front of my vehicle wasn't going in the same direction that the front wheels were pointing. Second, I was going far too slowly for that number or revs whilst in 2nd gear. As I moved toward a sideways encounter with Mr Curb I managed to bring my foot off the accelerator. All of a sudden my front wheels got purchase and I lurched off in the direction of work instead.

If I'd decided to risk cycling to work this morning I bet I may have had an even more interesting time of it!

No comments: