Tuesday 25 November 2008

A novel concept

For several years now I have had the outline of a fiction novel taking shape in my head, and I've already put quite a lot of time into laying down the structure, both of the setting and the plot. I want to get it all properly organised before I start with the actual text of the novel.

Yesterday I did a bit of a word count on my BlackMeridian blog and was quite startled to discover that in the two weeks since I started it I have already written about 7,300 words. I don't think that's at all bad considering that it was all written during lunch hours and in the evenings.

3,000-4,000 words per week, in spare time.

My target length for my book would be 60,000-80,000 words, and this would represent a short to medium length novel. This sounds less daunting if I break it down into approximately 20 chapters of, yup you guessed it, 3,000-4,000 words. So if I could write the bulk of my novel the same rate as I have with BlackMeridian I could in theory produce a chapter a week, and have a complete first draft in 6 months!

I really need to get that plan finished I guess.

No comments: