Thursday 20 November 2008

Apples

I recently heard somebody, I forget who, say that one of life's simple pleasures is tossing an apple up in the air and catching it.

Of course it's easy to be completely skeptical about this and to brand whoever says such a thing a fool, but I really think they're onto something. As I sit now at my desk at work with my lunch in front of me, idly toying with a Granny Smith I just bought from the site coffee shop, I'm able to understand exactly what this wisened individual was talking about.

There's something fundamentally perfect about the size, shape and weight of the average apple. Somehow it isn't quite the same with something else like a tennis or cricket ball. It is such a satisfying feeling to toss an apple in the air and catch it as it falls back down. There's just something about the sensation and even the sound it makes when it falls back into the palm of the hand.

I'd better stop playing with this apple and eat it before I start getting funny looks from people. I think they're delicious too; given the choice I'll take an apple before a chocolate bar any day of the week.

No comments: