Monday 19 January 2009

Cycling to work

I'm feeling quite good today because for the first time in ages I have cycled in to work!

My ride to work is for the most part very pleasant because it's off road along bridleways and through the countryside. Today was a bit on the damp side, although not actually raining, but the run in to work was easy and comfortable. Gertie, my mountain bike with which I have an ongoing love-hate relationship, handles the ride nicely.

I've found it's so easy to lapse back into the routine of using the car to get to work, especially when it's cold, but that way madness lies. It's more expensive, more stressful, and I feel as though I'm much more likely to have an accident if I drive, especially since there are so many people who can't keep to their side of the bladdy road on these narrow country lanes!! Did I mention stress?

There's also the health argument, and of course I've been unaware of just how unfit I have become as a result of leaving the bike at home for the last couple of months.

So, here's to lots more cycling in the months to come.

No comments: